Witch hazel is a flowering plant native to North America. It has been used in skincare for centuries. The entire plant has healing properties. The bark leaves and twigs make up the extract.
Witch hazel extract is good for improving and maintaining skin health. For example, Native Americans used it for infections, sores and swelling.
It has proven to be beneficial. You can now find witch hazel in many beauty products, such as toners, cleansers and shaving creams.
Witch hazel is gentle, so it is perfect for sensitive skin. It contains high levels of polyphenols and tannins. These act as sebum (oil) regulators.
It has antioxidant qualities and anti-inflammatory properties. So witch hazel is suitable for a wide array of skincare products. Here are some other benefits you can enjoy when you use witch hazel in your skincare routine:
- Regulates oil production, which helps solve skin issues such as acne.
- It cuts down bacterial growth on skin. This reduces skin infections and speeds up healing.
- Soothing properties can reduce inflammation and improve skin sensitivity.
- Its antioxidant properties prevent skin from getting aggravated from stress-related skin issues. This includes puffiness, inflammation, acne breakouts and more.
- It is versatile, so you can use it for your skin and hair. You can even ingest it to improve your overall health.
The versatility of witch hazel has made it a popular ingredient. It is one of the best organic ingredients for skincare.
To get the most benefits out of it, make sure that products with witch hazel don’t contain any harmful ingredients. For example: Certain toners can have an alcohol content that irritates skin.
The benefits that witch hazel has to offer can make it look very good. Yet it does have some downsides.
Responsibly using witch hazel can go a long way. This ensures that you don’t experience any negative effects. Nonetheless, the following are some downsides you should keep an eye on when using it:
- Some people might experience an allergic reaction to witch hazel, so first test a small area of skin. While the chances of this are small, it is better to be careful.
- For some people, witch hazel might dry out the skin too much. It can drastically reduce oil production, so if you have drier skin to begin with, this could be an issue.
- Ingesting witch hazel is great for your digestive system. However, it is not recommended for children. Always consult a pediatrician before administering witch hazel to a child.
- Adults can safely ingest witch hazel, but be careful of the dosage. Large doses of witch hazel can contribute to causing liver problems. (Be sure to consult with your doctor before ingesting witch hazel.)
- Witch hazel contains trace amounts of safrole, a chemical that causes cancer. But in small doses, it will not harm the body.
- Do not step out into the sun after applying witch hazel. It is a good idea to wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before exposing yourself to the sun.
- Witch hazel is safe for pregnant women to use, but first consult your physician to reduce any risks.
There aren’t many negative effects and most people don’t encounter them. And yet it is better to be safe than sorry.
Witch hazel is widely used in the beauty industry. It has a multitude of benefits that make it a must-have item in anyone’s skincare regimen. Its versatility and results only add to its popularity.
Here are some of the most beautiful benefits you can get when using witch hazel:
- Astringent in witch hazel helps to tighten skin. This will naturally reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Tannins in witch hazel help regulate oil production. They reduce acne issues and shrink large pores. Tannins also prevent pores from getting clogged.
- Witch hazel improves skin recovery from acne marks and bug bites. It can also help with dark spots and discoloration caused by sun damage.
- The polyphenols in witch hazel can reduce the chance of cancerous cells created by over-exposure to the sun.
- Hair health can improve with witch hazel. It helps to keep the scalp free of oil, which lowers dandruff. It can also help with fungal scalp infections.
- Witch hazel can prevent scalp irritation and redness and reduce scalp sensitivity issues.
- Diluted witch hazel applied around the eyes can help lessen dark circles.
Witch hazel has plenty of natural benefits to offer for your skin and hair. It is one of the best beauty solutions that you can include in your skincare routine. In fact, many people have attributed their clear skin to their use of witch hazel.
Get Organic Skincare Products with Witch Hazel Extracts
Are you now thinking of using skincare made with witch hazel? Go for organic products infused with witch hazel extracts. You’ll get a skincare product that is extremely beneficial for your skin and overall health.
It can be a bit challenging to find the right organic products with witch hazel for your skin. However, Primal Life Organics can help you out. Find it in their acne face toner and other all-natural acne products.