Coconut oil has been used for centuries to get healthier skin and hair. Whether you use it in a product or as is, it has plenty of benefits to offer. This oil is full of healthy fatty acids, saturated fats and more. These nutrients can improve your body — inside and out — whether applied topically or eaten with food.
Just like any other ingredient in food or skincare, coconut oil has a different impact on everyone. To make things easier for you, we’re taking an objective look at coconut oil and all the benefits it has to offer.
When it comes to the good, you’re going to find plenty of amazing benefits regarding the use of coconut oil. With its rise in popularity, coconut oil has become easier and easier to find. Be sure to go for a high-quality oil though. Cheaper is not always better.
Coconut oil has antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains fatty acids such as caprylic acid that aids in cellular repair and provides nourishment to the skin on a cellular level.
Now before you start slathering coconut oil all over your body, it is a good idea to consider a few other factors:
- Coconut oil is not suited for all skin types
- Can aggravate dandruff on the scalp
- Can cause breakouts or aggravate acne, especially with severe acne
- Should not be used with severe eczema as it can cause a breakout
- Can block pores if it is not absorbed easily by the skin
When used properly — especially if your body takes a liking to it — coconut oil can create beautiful results. It can very easily improve the health of your hair and your skin. Used for your hair, it can help in the following manner:
- Prevents hair loss by strengthening the protein in hair and protecting the roots
- Improves scalp condition, particularly if it is dry and prone to dandruff
- Makes hair shiny
- Makes hair healthier and thicker
Coconut oil is also perfect for topical use. Whether you use it as a moisturizer or as a face treatment, when used for skin, it has the following benefits:
- Perfect for moisturizing skin
- Helps counter dry skin caused by conditions such as eczema
- Can help soothe mild acne as it has anti-bacterial properties
- Minimizes pores
- Decreases appearances of fine lines and wrinkles
With so many benefits from using coconut oil for your hair and your skin, it is no surprise that its popularity has exploded.
Thinking about “the bad” might make you feel apprehensive about using coconut oil in your beauty routines. If you are thinking about using it, start small. Focus on one area or one reason, and see what happens.
And again, make sure you get good quality oil. Organic coconut oil has fewer impurities and additives. That way you’ll enjoy more benefits while you get the flawless skin and shiny hair you deserve.